We affirm before the presence of God the faith of the apostles that is taught to us in Holy Scripture.
1. We believe in one God, the creator, sustainer and finisher of heaven and earth. He is spirit, one being, from eternity existing in three persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. He is eternal, unchangeable, omniscient, omnipotent, omnipresent, infinite in love, truth and faithfulness, perfect in wisdom, righteousness and holiness.
Deut 6:4; Gen 1:1; Heb 1:3; Mt 13:40; Jn 4:24; Is 44:6; Mt 3:16, 17; 28:19; 1Cor 12:4-6; 2Cor 13:13; Jn 5:23, 10:28-29, Jn 14:6-7,17,23; Ps 93:2, 102:27,28, 139:1-3,7-12; Gen 17:1; Ex 34:6; 1Jn 4:8; Ps 40:12, 36:6; Rom 11:33; Ps 71:19; Is 6:3
2. We believe in Jesus Christ, our Lord, the only begotten Son of God, who was given by the Holy Spirit and born of the virgin Mary, truly God and truly man. We believe that in order to reconcile us to God he was crucified and died, and that he physically rose from the dead and is ascended to Heaven where he now sits at the right hand of God the Father. We believe that he will return in glory to unite himself with his church, to establish his kingdom and at the end to judge the unrighteous.
Jn 1:14, 18; Mt 1:20; Lk 1:35; Jn 1:1; Heb 1:3; Rom 8:3; Heb 2:14; Jn 1:14; 1Tim 2:5; 2Cor 5:19,21; 1Cor 15:4; Lk 24:39; Jn 20:27; Acts 1:9; Eph 1:19; Heb 1:13; Mt 24:30; 1Thess 4:14-16; Rev 20:4, 5, 20:11-15
3. We believe in the Holy Spirit who gives life through his work of regeneration and sanctification. Every born-again believer is baptised with the Holy Spirit and by so doing is incorporated into the body of Christ, the church. He will fill every believer, lead them in truth, give power and enable them to bear fruit for God’s glory.
Jn 14:16, 17, 26, 3:3-6; Rom 8:5-6; Eph 1:13; 1Cor 12:13; Eph 5:18; Jn 16:13; Gal 5:22
4. We believe in the Bible (66 books of the Old and New Testaments). The word of God is inspired by the Holy Spirit, and as such is an infallible revelation, the only source and standard for faith and life.
Jn 17:17; 2Tim 3:16; 2Pet 1:21; Rev 22:18-19
5. We believe that man was created after God’s image and through his own fault, he is fallen from his sinless state, and as a result of this, all have sinned and are lost, incapable of saving themselves. We believe that the Bible teaches that there will be eternal judgement for those who in this life are unsaved.
Gen 1:26-28; Gen 3; Rom 5:12, 19, 3:9-20, 23; Eph 2:1; Gal 2:16; Rom 7:14-23; Mt 13:42, 25:41, 46; Lk 13:28, 16:23-26; 2 Thess 1:9; Heb 10:27; Rev 20:15, 21:8
6. We believe that man can only be saved by grace alone, not by his own merit, through faith in Christ, not by works, only on the basis of the substitutionary death of Jesus Christ.
Rom 1:16, 17, 3:22-24, 28, 4:5, 16, 5:1; Gal 2:16, 21, 3:10-14; Eph 2:4-10; Phil 3:9; Col 1:20; 2Cor 5:21; 1Jn 1:7
7. We believe that Satan, a fallen angel and enemy of God, is the cause of the fall, and is still active deceiving mankind with his lies and tempting them to sin. His destination is judgement and eternal punishment.
Ez 28:12-19; Is 14:12-17; Gen 3:1-5, 14; Job 1:6-12; Mt 4:1; Jn 8:44; 2Cor 11:14; Rev 20:1, 10
8. We believe that all the dead will rise physically, the believer to enter eternal life, and the unbeliever to be judged and eternally punished.
Jn 5:29, 11:24-26; Rom 8:11; 1Cor 15:23; 1Thess 4:14-16; Rev 20:4, 12-14
9. We believe that Jesus Christ instituted the emblems of baptism and Communion. Baptism is a testimony to the uniting of the believer with the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. The Communion is a remem-brance, a sign for the church of a new covenant, an announcement of Jesus’ death on the cross, in anticipation of his second coming.
Mt 28:19; Acts 2:38, 41; Rom 6:3-4; Gal 3:27; Mt 26:26-28; Mk 14:22-24; Lk 22:19, 20; 1Cor 11:23-29
10. We believe that the church of Jesus Christ is constituted by those he has called out of the world, who confess his name, who have been cleansed by his blood and are born again by the Holy Spirit. All those who belong to the church are called to live holy lives, to be filled with the Holy Spirit and to refrain from anything that would dishonour God, and to give themselves to everything that glorifies God. The church has received the commission to preach the gospel worldwide.
Acts 2:38-42; 1Cor 12:13, 27; Eph 1:13-14; 1Pet 2:9-10; 2Cor 6:14, 7:1; Eph 5:15-21; Col 1:9-11; 1Thess 4:3, 5: 23; Titus 3:8; 1Pet 1:13-16; Mt 28:19